Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Stručni rad
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka
Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka

Renewal and Reconstruction of the Dominican Convent, Rijeka

Alan Braun Autor: Alan Braun
Zavod za graditeljsko naslijeđe
The convent with the church of St. Jerome was found by the Augustan order in 1315. It was originally built in Gothic style and has been significantly partitioned on many occasions throughout history. Apart from Kaštel near Rijeka, it is the biggest architectonic complex in the city. After the closing of the convent in 1788, the building alternately changed purposes, and after WWII it was taken over by the Dominicans who are still using it today.

Today's appearance of the convent originates from the second half of the 19th century, while the last time St. Jerome’s church was partitioned to a more significant extent was in 18th century, during baroque. However, it needs to be emphasized that within the convent we find the only preserved Gothic spaces in Rijeka –
the Chapel of Immaculate Conception and the Chapel of Holly Trinity, dating back from the 15th century.

The conceptual design anticipates renewal and partial reconstruction of the convent which beside religious obtains public purpose as well, as space in which the client, the City of Rijeka, will occasionally organize smaller cultural programs (exhibitions, lectures, concerts) which correspond with the sacral character of the complex. The internal spaces and the cloister of the convent are being given back baroque character (staircase and openings on the floor in the original position) while the Gothic Chapel of Immaculate Conception is to be renewed by the reestablishment of three-ship concept.
Karta